Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Qingdao Fall, and now Winter!

Christmas is quickly approaching, although it doesn't quite feel like it here in Qingdao.  We had our first snow today, but nothing accumulated on the ground. It was more like a wet cold day... so the first snow wasn't that impressive.  However, the cold weather has just begun in the last couple weeks, so I am thankful that we did have a beautiful fall that lasted for months with 50-70 degree weather!  Now, the 40's and 30's are blowing in, but along with the cold weather comes some fun to remember.

A friend in our apartment complex threw a halloween party.  Ben and I dressed up like we were in the 20's.  Other friends were from different decades, but one of the more creative costumes was a greek god... he dressed up in a toga and put grapes and vines all around him.  I think you had to be there. :)

This month, the high school had their play.  I was actually gone on a retreat that weekend, but Ben helped out with the lighting and sound.  He said the high school did great, although the themes for the individual skits were mostly a bit grim.

Also, we had our first Chinese Thanksgiving celebration. Unfortunately, we had to work on Thanksgiving, but on Friday, we did tons of shopping at a place called Ji Mo Lu.  It's crazy!! There were tons of people there, but Ben and I found Christmas decorations, presents, and some clothing items!  All for very cheap.   We ate our Thanksgiving meal at at friend's house in our apartment complex.  Everyone from that complex came over, so it was about 25 people in one apartment.  We watched Captain America, and ate LOTS of food.  Most of it was traditional American Thanksgiving food, but some of our staff are from Australia, India, Korea, China, South Africa, etc...  So, there was certainly some other cultural influences in the food they brought.  We welcomed it all the same... the more food, the better!

Ben and I will be getting a Christmas tree soon from Metro (the Chinese version of a Sam's Club).  I wanted to put up decorations last weekend, but we just had too much to do!  I very much miss the traditions I'm use to around this holiday season, but I know that God will carry me through to enjoy new things in a new place!

No comments:

Post a Comment