Saturday, November 26, 2011

Currently Reading: Hunger Games & Choosing to See

Currently, I’m reading through two books.  One fiction and one non-fiction. 
The fiction book is called “Hunger Games.”  It’s a book targeted towards the young adult crowd.  This is the first ‘young adult’ book that I’ve read since I was considered a ‘young adult.’  But it is blowing my mind.  It is a fabulously written, unique story. 

The story takes place in the near future, after a massive war, and there are only 12 areas of the United States where there are people living.  These are the 12 districts.  The Capitol is in control of everything.  Amid this horrible living situation, the Capitol sponsors the yearly Hunger Games, where 2 people from each district enter an arena. . . . and only one comes out alive. 

There is a movie coming out soon. Although it looks promising, I’m not sure if they can capture how great the book is.  Check it out…




The other book I’m reading is
“Choosing to See,” by Mary Beth Chapman.  If you are not familiar with the Chapman family, they lost their little daughter to an accident in 2008. Mary Beth’s book is not only about the accident and life after, but life before.  It’s a story about how she came to know the Lord, how she met Steven, how nothing in her life happened as planned, but she wouldn’t have it any other way.  I love the way she writes; I feel like we are chatting in a coffee shop, just her and me!  Since picking up this book, I have become Facebook friends with Mary Beth, and get the family updates often!  Things like this bring God’s family together.  They seem less like “celebrities,” and more like family.   This book is also important to me because a family here in Qingdao lost their young son to an accident last year before we came.  We have seen the aftermath of so much grief and sadness and lost.  In reading Mary Beth’s story, I feel like I can connect just a bit more to the story of the family here with us.

Mary Beth Chapman speaking about her book:


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading Choosing to See! Wonderful book and I totally agree about her writing style. Hunger Games sounds interesting, I might have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete