Since I’ve been in China for a few months, I’m picking up all the Chinglish words westerners say. Some of them are legit, others are a little sketchy with that way they are used. Either way, these words are a normal part of my every day language:
Dong xi (Dong-she) – Stuff, Any kind of Stuff. As in, “Grab your dong xi, we gotta leave!”
Shen me (Shen-muh) – Question word: What, Chinese often use this twice in a row. As in, if I didn’t understand you because you were mumbling, I might come back with a quick: “Shen me Shen me?”
Deng yi xia (Dung-E-sh-yah) – Wait one moment. This comes in handy as I was still saying Uno Momento in Spanish. Now I can throw it out in Chinese
Dui (dway) – Yes. Chinese use this word twice in a row, or sometimes 5 or 10 times. When there is confusion and finally someone understands, they will say, “Dui Dui Dui Dui Dui Dui.” I’m not sure why.
Ting bu dong (ting boo dong) – I hear you, but I didn’t understand you. Unfortunately whenever I use this, the Chinese person keeps right on speaking in Chinese…. And then I keep saying ting bu dong, ting bu dong, ting bu dong. They usually keep smiling and talking, until I nod my head and say, Dui! (yes). Then they usually say goodbye and we part ways…. I’m never really sure why this phrase doesn’t work.
Je ge (juh-guh) – That. As in, I can’t speak any other words in Chinese at a restaurant, so I point at a picture and I say, “Je ge!” Meaning, I want that.
Wo yao (whoa-yao) – I want. I use this phrase more than I think I did in English.
Mei you (Mayo, like mayonnaise) – Don’t have. Ben will say mei you mayo in the house, since he doesn’t like mayonnaise… but I don’t know the word for mayonnaise in Chinese….
Hen hao (hon, like in honey, hon-how) - Very good. As in, “My Chinese lesson was hen hao”
Bu hao (boo-how) – Not good… As in, “The bus is 15 minutes late! Bu hao!!”
Zhang fu (jong-foo) - Husband
Tai tai (tie-tie) - Wife
Xie xie (sh-yeah-sh-yeah) – Thank you. I’m finally out of the “Gracias” stage, and can now be polite in Chinese, too.
Hao chi (how-chur) – literally, good eats, or delicious, or good food. However, our staff use it for everything, like a slang for “that’s cool” or “I’m glad” or “exciting!” So, I could say, “Our team won in basketball yesterday.” And another person would say, “Hao Chi!” It doesn’t make any sense, but it always makes us laugh. I don’t think Chinese people use Hao Chi this way. J
And my favorite Chinese word:
Li hai (lee-high) – literally means something like, becoming anxious about, or it can describe a very particular person. Westerners use it as a synonymous term for OCD. “She is li hai about her toe nails; she goes in for a pedicure every week.” Or “I’m really li hai about wanting things at right angles”
I love being able to add to my vocabulary! I learn new things every week, especially from my Chinese teacher, Susie. She’s so helpful in teaching me new things to say!
I love reading your blog! I suppose I should comment more often so that you know I am reading it :) Don't stop! I miss you and this way I can at least know a little bit of how you are doing. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Twila!
ReplyDeleteYay! You are reading my blog. :) I miss you guys too!
ReplyDeleteTing bu dong is my favorite!
ReplyDelete