Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Transition is a Twilight Zone

Transition is a Twilight Zone.
Grey.  Unclear.
A.w.k.w.a.r.d.
Something is amiss and
Altogether strange.
What you once knew is no longer true.
What you expected to be simple,
Turns out to be mysteriously difficult.
Important things suddenly become less important.
Plans melt like wax, and
Flexibility and Intuition become your closest friend.
What you thought has no meaning,
Turns out to be the greatest lesson learned.

Transition makes you feel incompetent. 
Turning on the air conditioner or making spaghetti
both become arduous tasks that inevitably end in tears.

Transition disrupts relationships. 
The very concept of friendship is challenged,
and immediately divided into two categories—old and new.

Transition dares to defy comfort levels and creates new spaces for growth.
Yet, it is the desire to cling to anything that makes sense.
It’s the overwhelming feeling of coming home, and not feeling home.

Transition is a twilight zone;
That space in between space,
Moving in a land of both shadow and substance,
of things and ideas.

But  s l o w l y ,
ever so slowly
The shadows will fade into the substance.
The strange will become familiar.
And the grey gradually transforms into color.
Although the picture is never fully clear,
Transition allows
For Fluidity, for Flexibility. 
For Stamina and Strength.
To Learn. To Grow.
To enjoy the new life you love
That you once thought so strange.




I decided today that I should sit down and actually think through how transition has made me feel and how it has affected my life.  We have 6 new students in the high school this semester. If I can grasp even a bit of what they feel, it allows me to connect that much more. 

I feel that these last 6 months have been more difficult than I could have imagined, thanks to my friend Transition. However, I can say that I'm finally coming out of the rough parts.  There will always be remnants of Transition's confusion, but like I say in the poem, "the grey gradually transforms into color."  I can say that I am finally high-functioning, well adjusted, loving life... and (by the way) can turn on the A.C. without crying and make spaghetti without blowing up my kitchen.  

I can say with all excitement and certainty, that I am glad to be out of Transition!

No comments:

Post a Comment