On Fridays, we have high school assembly. This is a time for announcements, important information, and some type of quick activity or lesson. This past Friday, we discussed this quote:
Cease from what is necessary; embrace that which gives life.
Mark Buchanan
Mark Buchanan
Earlier this week, Damian (my boss, who was leading this assembly), asked a co-worker about this quote. Mike Pollock works in Tianjin, China and is a great guy who is adding to the kingdom like crazy. I’ve worked with him on several events, and his father wrote the most used book about the “third culture” experience for children. Mike said the following in regards to the above quote:
Maybe our problem is in the identification of what is necessary. This is because others often tell us what is necessary in ways that are not life-giving. So the quest is to find others that agree on the life-giving as the necessary. It seems to me that if the priority is set right, the tiring and the difficult things can be endured because they are not central but peripheral.
Michael Pollock
Michael Pollock
I’m not quite sure if the students grasped the concepts here, but it has stuck with me for several days now. I have found this to be extremely true for me in the last week. If I know what is ultimately life giving (God), and I make Him the only necessary thing, then everything else becomes “peripheral,” not central.
In the assembly, we discussed what gives life. There were options such as, good friends, food, sports, great weather, romance, family: all good things that at any moment can be life giving. But, as Damian suggested, those good things are not always going to be there. What happens when summer turns to winter, we move schools and our friends are no longer with us, our hobbies no longer satisfy. What gives life then?
So, if the life-giving God is the only thing that is necessary, we will always be satisfied in Him. That’s what I want.
“God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in Him.”
-John Piper
-John Piper
“I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings…” Philippians 3:10
Thanks for sharing this, Amy! I really appreciate your thoughts and this is a great thing to ponder on and absorb!
ReplyDelete