As it turns out, I learned that the book I'm reading is one of the best books by one of the most popular authors in Australia. I mentioned it to my boss the other day, and he was giving me some insights into what the setting and culture is like in the area where the novel takes place. As I read, I'm running into words I don't know (like "windcheater" which is actually pronounced windchitter, but when I tried to repeat after Damian I'm pretty sure I said windshitter. After which I couldn't stop laughing long enough to get it right). It's coincidental that I picked up this book recently. At the end of October, our school hosts a "Global Village" day where each of the schools will be focusing on a different country.
The Early Childhood Center is Germany.
The Elementary is The Philippines.
The Middle School is Malaysia.
And the High School is Australia.
In my planning and research for Global Village, I've had many conversations with a teacher who is Indian, but grew up in several different places, including Australia. She sent me some great activity ideas for the day, and also sent me a list of Australian slang vocab. I enjoyed reading it and talking about it further with her. Check out the list below--it's really interesting, and makes a lot of sense as I look back at my conversations with my boss. He does say some of these words from time to time. Although, if I tried to incorporate them into my vocabulary, I'd end up saying something like wind-shitter.
Arvo = afternoon
Barbie = BBQ
Bathers = Swimming Suit
Beaut = beautiful, (eg: if looking at a car you might say, “Isn’t she a beauty!”)
Bikkie = biscuit
Bloke = a guy
Bogged = stuck in mud (like a vehicle stuck in sand or mud)
Brekkie = breakfast
Bush = the outback, not city area
Cark it = cease functioning, it’s dead
Chewie = chewing gum
Chockie = chocolate
Chook = chicken
Chrissie = Christmas
Chuck a sickie / Sickie = have (or having) a day off because you’re sick
Cockie = Cockatoo (bird)
Digger = a soldier
Dinkum / Fair Dinkum = true, genuine, real
Dob = tell on someone
Dobber = a person who dobs
Down Under = Australia and New Zealand
Dunny = outside toilet (or sometimes just for any toilet)
Fair go = give someone a fair chance
Footy = Australian Football
G’day = hello
Good onya = Well done, good on you
Heaps = a lot (eg: thanks heaps)
Lollies = sweets, candies
Maccas = McDonalds
Mate = a friend, buddy
No worries / No drama = an answer to an apology meaning no problem
Outback = interior of Australia
Plate (Bring a Plate) = means to bring a food dish to an event like BBQ or picnic
Prezzy = present, gift
Ripper = great, fantastic (What a ripper!)
Roo = Kangaroo
Road Train = big truck that travels across Australia
Rock up = to turn up, to arrive
Salvos = The salvation army
Sheila = women
She’ll be right = It’ll turn out alright (eg: She’ll be right mate)
Sook = a person who is soft, weepy (eg: if someone is crying we would say, “Don’t be a sook” but meaning sarcastically)
Sunnies – sunglasses
Tea = supper, dinner
Thingo : Wadjamacallit, thingummy, whatsit
Truckie : truck driver
True blue : patriotic
Tucker : food
Ugg boots : Australian sheepskin boots worn by surfers since at least the 1960s to keep warm while out of the water. Also worn by airmen during WW1 and WW2 because of the need to maintain warmth in non-pressurized planes at high altitudes.
Ugh : ugly. hence Ugg boots
Uni : university
Ute : utility vehicle, pickup truck
Vedgies : vegetables
Veg out : relax in front of the TV (like a vegetable)
Waggin' school : playing truant
Walkabout : a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time
Walkabout, it's gone : it's lost, can't be found
Whinge : complain
Woop Woop : invented name for any small unimportant town - "he lives in Woop Woop"
Wuss : coward; nervous person or animal
Yakka : work (noun)
Yewy : u-turn in traffic ("chuck a yewy at the next traffic lights")
No comments:
Post a Comment