Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Season for... Discipline.


September & October… and maybe November… definitely December…  Okay, the “ber” months, are the season for discipline.  It’s the time when time matters, and if I want my priorities to actually be priorities… I have to do something about it.  So here are my 5 main disciplines that I am putting into practice in the coming weeks and months.


Discipline #1


I have joined a Bible study.  What a blessing this is!  I cannot say enough good things about it.  We have a book study on Galatians, and spend a lot of time talking about the gospel and how we are living it out.  It’s challenging, thought provoking, and prayerful.

Who is in this study? 6 women who challenge me greatly!!
  • 2 parents in our community.  One was a substitute teacher last year for our school.   She and her husband (and 2 older boys) have lived in China for over a decade.  Another parent of a high schooler is in the study.  She helps with P.E. classes and often volunteers to help me with bulletin boards around campus, among many other things she does to help our school.
  • A good friend who teaches at the school.  She thinks hard and has lots of wise words…and sometimes wise cracks….  Do people still use that phrase? She’s awesome at what she does at our school, and she’s an awesome friend.  She has been here for over 3 years now.
  • Another woman who is an American MK, born and lived in Japan.  She’s married to a Filipino man (the one I went with on Spring Trips to the Yunnan Province). She and her husband (and 2 young ones) have been here over 5 years.
  • One of my co-workers, who is also my prayer partner and one of my best friends here in Qingdao.  Her and her husband (and 3 kids) have lived in China for over 5 years now as well.
  • A young mom who is finding her place in Qingdao. Her and her husband (and 2 little ones) have lived here for over 8 years, and she thrives off of strong, deep God-honoring relationships.


Discipline #2
I am spending intentional time with my husband.  After 3 solid trips of being away for 2-4 days at a time, it’s nice to re-connect.  We’ve been taking dates, walks to the beach, and alone time at home to talk and enjoy one another.  This takes discipline in setting the time, setting the tone, and allowing each other to be open and honest.  It’s been a great time!!! I love him!

Discipline #3
I have joined a yoga class.  I know there are many mixed feelings out there about Christians doing yoga.  However, I know my teacher is a C, I know the motives that she has in teaching yoga, and I know my heart and conscience is cleared as I have thought and prayed about this.  The class does not include any chanting or meditation, but rather, the quiet time is great for prayer and to clear my head of work and worry.  I have also invested a bit of money into this.  Each class is 30 kuai… which is quite a steal at 5 US dollars! But putting even a tiny bit of money into it makes me want to accomplish the goal of getting fit.  This has allowed me the drive to also start running again.  Not full swing or anything, but I’m getting there.  I have found that my time doing yoga has very been rewarding:
  • I am spending an hour with a few people who I’ve wanted to get to know better
  • I am supporting a C Chinese woman with experience and money
  • I am able to hear Chinese for an entire hour
  • I am able to stretch and exercise in a way that is very challenging
  • By the end of the night, I am extremely relaxed


Discipline #4
I am studying Chinese again.  My Chinese classes are on Monday afternoons and Tuesday mornings.  This forces me to do two main things: 1). actually study and do homework on Monday night and 2). to study several hours between Tuesday and Sunday.  I am improving on my grammar.  It’s slow and steady, but I’d rather it be that way than moving on to more difficult things before I am ready.  I’m beginning to read characters… for those of you who are wondering how I do that…. Or how anyone does that… it’s pure memorization.  It’s said that you’d need to know 3000 characters to read a newspaper.  3,000 characters memorized—yeah, that will take a while.  But I’m making a small dent, every week. 

Discipline #5
I am reading for fun again.  Western restaurants often carry English books, and loan them out like a library, because they aren’t readily available in bookstores.  At our favorite western place, I browsed the books this week and picked up “Dirt Music” by Tim Winton.  It’s an Australian novel about a middle-aged woman who is stuck in a rut, and some “new element” enters her life.  I have no idea where this book will lead.  All I know is that the first chapter held my attention, and I already want to know more about the main character.  If an author can get me through the first chapter wanting more, than it’s worth the read.

These are the disciplines that have mattered to me most, in my times of travel, in my times of planning, and in my times of stress that can easily accumulate through work.  More disciplines come and go with seasons, but for this “ber” season, these are my 5,  What disciplines are your pursuing?


No comments:

Post a Comment