Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Thought on Friendship


When I first arrived in Qingdao, it was difficult for me to spend time with my co-workers outside of work.  I felt that my job was the only thing we had in common.  I felt that our conversations revolved around the school. Work was hard enough without the added pressure of discussing it after 5 p.m.  –or feeling the need to be professional outside of working hours.   When I first arrived in Qingdao, my friends were my co-workers.  

Now, 6 months later, my co-workers are my friends.  I see them in the hallway, and we start giggling about an inside joke from last week.  Someone teases me about losing the game we played yesterday.  A friend sits in the teachers lounge and lets me vent for a few minutes before her next class.  

The Christmas & Chen Jie break has finally arrived.  Not only do I feel relaxed and well rested, but I also feel loved and appreciated.  I feel comfortable calling friends last minute to watch a movie or play a game, or simply sit in their apartment while they do other things.  I feel like conversations come naturally (and not always about work!!), and I feel that we can sit and be quiet, and not have to communicate.

Relationships are very needed in this lifestyle we live.  I'm thankful to have friends that have been willing to open up to be more than co-workers.

  

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I am so happy that you have that now! I knew you and Ben wouldn't have too much trouble making friends. Who wouldn't want to be your friend? :)

    ReplyDelete