Sunday, July 31, 2011

Culture Shock


1 week in China. Multiple meals at local restaurants. 4 shopping trips. Dozens of new friends with faces and names to memorize.  1 school with 3 buildings to navigate through. 3 Chinese teachers who were patient with my lack of ability to hear tones. 3 Squatty pottie experiences. And one amazing best friend and husband to share every moment with!

What I’ve noticed so far: China is very different

Especially with manners—there really are none!  At least the way westerners think.  In a crowded area, you have to push your way through. Otherwise, you aren’t getting through.  There’s no table manners.  Most meals served family style and everyone picks what they want from any bowl using their own chop-sticks.  Double dipping isn’t a problem!  However, there are also no street manners… farmer blows and peeing on the edge of the sidewalk is pretty normal (for children and dogs, especially).  China’s not the cleanest place, I’ll be the first to admit.  There aren’t a lot of public trash cans, and although squatty potties are suppose to be less germie… so far, they’re pretty germie!

China is very different, but not bad.

Every morning and later evening, I see the local Asian community come out to the center of our apartment complex and talk to one another. Their kids play with one another.  They exercise together and do TaiChi together.  There is real love and real community… something special takes place.  There are friendly faces everywhere, especially if you try to speak the language.  They want to be accommodating and helpful. 

Culture shock is up and down, depending on the day, and maybe how many people get on the bus.  So far, I think I’m adjusting well, all considering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment