Monday, December 10, 2012

Last Night's Dream


In my dream, I had been mentally wrestling with a sin issue in my life.  I had chosen to seek help by finding Ben in another room.  As I tapped on the shoulder of what I thought was my husband, the face of an evil presence met me, and immediately took over me.

The creature came over me and pinned me to the floor with such weight and strength.  I was overcome by the pure evil of it, screaming and screeching in such horrifying ways, so loudly, just inches from my face.   I was somehow able to move my neck and head, just a bit from the floor.  I threw my weight into my shoulders and screamed back, as loudly as I could.  Words came.  Even though I was horrified at the evil, paralyzed by the weight, I didn’t even have to think about what to say. 

“He knows my name!” As loudly as I could muster.

Before I finished, it began its screeching and wailing.  It deafened my cry and made me want to curl away.  That sound was more agonizing than I could possibly explain.  Although, amid the panic of my own heart, strength was regained. 

Again, I shouted back, “He knows my name!”

My words met with his painful noise yet again.  But my weakness fell and my anger arose.  I was not going to be beat by this evil. I must fight.

“He knows YOUR name!”

The rage of the creature escalated to a new level.   Never have I felt so terrified and yet so persistent.  I stared into its hallow face; nothing to focus on, no eyes or features of any kind, only blackness and evil.

The shrieking did not cease, but at this point became stronger and more oppressive.  The pain in its voice, the millions of screams behind that one scream. I sealed my eyes shut in response and began to repeat quickly and quietly to myself...

Jesus Christ, Son of God, Lord and Savior of all.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, Lord and Savior of all.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, Lord and Savior of all.

I woke up, realizing that I have been repeating these words aloud in my empty room.  I reached over and turned on my bedside light, and continued to say the words.  After moments of catching my breath and thinking over what I had just dreamed, I began to smile, knowing that no evil thing can stand in the face of Christ.  There is no dualistic battle.  He shows up, and the evil leaves.

I do believe this.  And if it truly is the case, I have two questions that remain.
  1. Why did I tell evil that God knows my name…
  2. Why did I say that God knows his name…

     ...Rather than start with repeating Christ’s name.

As I have been thinking about this all day, a couple thoughts have consumed my mind. 
  1. In order to believe God can save me, I need to know who God has made me to be.  I am new in Christ, and he has chosen me.
  2. In order to shed the sins that are so strong in my life, I need to name them for what they truly are-- sinful betrayals of my loving Father.
I do not know what the dream was meant to be.  I hadn’t eaten anything strange before bed, nor watched a horror film in… years!   There was no logical reason for this strong of a dream to enter into my mind. However, as I begin to unpack what may be there, I give thanks to God that HIS NAME is great, and he has adopted me into his saving grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment