I cannot describe what I felt when I got the e-mail from my
mother. There was a strong sense of
shock and disbelief, and then an incredible amount of sadness, grief, and
regret.
I put my hand over my mouth, not wanting to cry because if I
did, I didn’t think I could stop. Ben
came to my side and I buried myself in his arms, not wanting to believe what I
just read.
To say my grandpa was the backbone of our family is an
understatement. If he was in the room,
you could bet there’d be smiling, laughing, petty fighting, and probably some
drinking and swearing, too, …but the kind of swearing you just laugh at and
ignore. Even in his old age, my grandpa
was the life of the party. If he wasn’t
there, it simply wasn’t the same. And it
won’t be the same again.
When I was young, my grandparents lived in Las Vegas, so until
we visited them, I was “scared” of my grandpa.
I’m not sure why… I think I was unsure of most older men at that young
age. However, I remember specifically
when we got off the plane in Las Vegas for our first visit to them, my dad
asked me to hold hands with grandpa, because he’d like that. I reluctantly obeyed, and even though my
grandpa always said we’d be “best friends someday,” I didn’t believe it then. Suffice it to say, those trips to see my
grandparents paid off, and when they moved back to Omaha, I was blessed to have
many amazing memories with them over the years.
| Grandma and Grandpa Mancuso on Our Wedding Day. |
When he first met Ben, the first thing my grandpa asked was, "How old are you?" Ben answered, "18." "Eighteen!! Well, when I was 18, I was married and had 2 kids already!" Ben laughed awkwardly and said something like, "Well, not yet for me!" After that, my grandpa had nicknamed him "Gentle Ben," which is the name of a bear in a children's story.
Here is something my cousin
posted on facebook. When I read it, I
felt exactly what she was saying,
“We're
all promised 3 score and a few more. And we've had more than our share
together!” said my Grampa to my Gramma as we had lunch together this past
Thursday, smiling and giggling together at the fact that they were celebrating
their 55 wedding anniversary. It's with an incredibly heavy heart that I report
that he passed away very suddenly this morning. One of the funniest, most
generous, and vivacious men this world will truly ever know. If you knew him,
you were blessed. He taught me so much about life and I'm grateful I was able
to spend so much time with him recently. Still, one of the hardest things is
knowing he'll never know my husband or see my children grow up - or rather,
they'll never know him and the amazing love he bestowed on all those he knew.
"We're all just penciled in," he always used to say. And he's right.
I encourage you to live your life with purpose and full of love today. Seek
after truth and the abundant life that comes from knowing Jesus. Don't waste
it. After all, you never know when it will end - because we're all just
penciled in.
The most difficult thing through this is not that I’m
across the world, or that we were suppose to Skype sometime soon. The hardest thing is not the memories or the
regret of not making as many as I could have.
The hardest thing is not thinking about how my mother or grandmother
must feel. Although all of those things
are terrible and saddening…..
| Grandma & Grandpa with all of their kids! |
The hardest thing is knowing that my grandfather was not a
believer. Although I sincerely hope that he was, I have not seen fruit saying
that he ever made that decision.
Although he was full of life and love and servanthood and graciousness,
it seems that was all God’s mercy working in his life, rather than the work of
Jesus in his heart.
I am incredibly saddened at the sudden death of my grandfather. I
really cannot say anymore.
| The Life of the Party, chasing around the great grandchildren! |
![]() |
| Loving on the great grand kids!! |
![]() |
| Dancing with his grandkids at another family wedding! |


No comments:
Post a Comment