Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hunger Games... In China?


During our wonderful vacation in Beijing, we heard that one of the cinemas in the area was playing Hunger Games.  Ben and I had recently read the series and was excited to see the movie, however we never thought it’d come to China, simply because of the nature and meaning of the content.  We made it to the movie theatre via bus, subway, taxi, and walking…  it seemed the sea had to part for us to actually get to the theatre, even though we didn’t know when the movie was playing, or even if the movie was playing.  I’ve learned that even the simplest things here become cultural experiences.

Which leads me to the actual reason for this blog.

As we sat in the packed theatre to watch this film, I realized more than ever that we are foreigners, watching a foreign movie.  Chinese characters appear on the bottom of the screen (since the movie is in English).  I can’t read the characters, so eventually I don’t really see them anymore.  There is continual noise in the theatre, not just a whisper to a neighbor or a cough here and there.  No, I mean, cell phones, people talking at normal volume, and (what really poked at my heart tonight) laughter at inappropriate times in the movie.  

Now, remember, when I say, “inapproprate” that’s with my cultural lens. What is inappropriate to me, is not what is inapprorate to a Chinese person.  What offends a Chinese person may not offend me.  

With that being said, (and understood in the back of my head the entire movie), I could not shake this bothersome feeling.  Someone gets killed on the screen, and laughter errupts throughout the theatre.  A character realizes, “I’ve been dead this whole time, I never stood a chance.” And again, laughter consumes the crowded space.  My first thought is, “How could they be laughing?”  I began to see the people beside me as barbarians, much like the “Capitol” in the movie, watching people die for their laughter and entertainment.  As much as I hate this thought, if I’m honest with myself (and you), I must admit that it crossed my mind.  However, my heart opened a bit as my second thought struck hard, “Well, I’m in a theatre, watching people die for my entertainment…”

I’m not sure what that says about me, but I’ll let that hang in the air for a bit.  

Finally, by the end of the night, I settled on a couple possiblities for the “inapproriate” laughter. 

1). Maybe this movie is not translating well.   
2). Maybe the laughter was nervous laughter, of not knowing how to respond.
3). Maybe Chinese culture responds differently to sadness & tragedy.
4). Maybe those around me did not understand the conent of the movie to be one of sadness & tragedy.
5). Maybe the Chinese actually thought it was funny.

No matter the reason, I was glad for the cultural experience because it made me look deep into my own heart.  Even while seeing an American movie based on an American novel, I cannot retreat from the culture I live in, nor can I escape the sinful and ignorant parts of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment