Sunday, August 28, 2011

Six StuCo-ers in Shenyang


I had the amazing opportunity to lead 6 high school students to the ISC student council retreat.  This year, the retreat was hosted by the Shenyang school.  I wasn’t sure where Shenyang was, or what the retreat would hold.  But for some reason, I was trusted to take these 6 high schoolers on a plane, to a city I didn’t know, for a retreat that I’ve never been to before.   A little intimidating… Yes! 

BUT…  I wouldn’t have traded it for the world.

I learned so much about the retreat, about student council, and about my students.  The flight was an hour and half.  I gave the students leadership for everything within the airport. They all speak English and some Chinese, and most of them speak Korean.  SO, I was in good hands!  

Shenyang is a northern city in China.  We didn’t see much of the city, because our retreat center was 2 hours away from the airport.  However, I did notice it was not as clean as Qingdao, and it seemed like it had a poorer population.  I’m finding that Qingdao is pretty unique since it’s more of a tourist spot. 
Here are a few highlights in pictures!   

Bags Packed - We are ready for our van ride from the school to the airport.

Construction Zone in Shenyang.  This isn't a great picture,
but this was my view for about an hour on the bus ride
after we landed in Shenyang.

The students trying to complete a team building activity.

ON A LAKE in Shenyang.  This is our ISQ Student Council
(minus our class representatives).
The lake was beautiful and reminded me of Minnesota!!!

This is the boardwalk to get on/off the boat.
It was a little sketchy!

These lovely ladies are a hungry bunch.  But most Korean teenagers don't like Chinese food.
Those two dishes were only a handful of the food on the rest of the table.
We ate good... even though the kids don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment