Sunday, June 19, 2011

Seasons

The last day of a job marks the end of a season.  It’s the space between “before and after,” “have and have not,” and a little bit of “been there, done that.”  Saying goodbye is always easier when there is love and support pushing you forward; when they know leaving is going to be better for you.  As I looked in the eyes of some of the patients and said a few kind words as they leave, they complimented me back.  It warms my heart to know I was welcoming and exuded patience when most needed.  This is not easily done every day, and most importantly, not something I could do on my own.  And I thank Him for that.

Now, I turn my heart and attention to what is to come.  The myriad of unknowns is slowly forming a picture, although right now, it’s more like a puzzle missing the important pieces.  I trust that these pieces will come together, and have no doubt this is the direction He wants us to follow.

In more concrete terms, I recently received a basic job description, and it looks like I will be kept busy and challenged.  I will be involved in many things including planning events and retreats, working with high school student council, tutoring, mentoring, and even teaching P.E. twice a week.   When I responded to my boss about the description, I assured him that I am ready to get my feet wet in anything, but I’m particularly excited about planning events (I love it, although I don’t have too much practice, yet). 

At times, I fear I’m inadequate; fear that I’ll have too much on my plate.  I fear they read the wrong resume and think I can really handle this!  Fears and self-consciousness take over in some moments, something I believe is inevitable for humans.  I’m moving across the world and starting something completely new… who wouldn’t be prone to self-doubt and fear.

But just as this blog began, every job marks a season.  Right now, today, I’m in the season of rest.  Even though it’s a short season, only a few weeks long, He knew this is what I needed before beginning our adventure.  Soon, I will be in a different stage, across the planet! And hopefully, I will again be pushed forward in love and support during this new, exciting season.

No comments:

Post a Comment