It has been three weeks of school, and only two of those
with students. It has been such a short
time, but I already cannot remember what my days consisted of before it began. This is a Saturday morning to enjoy, to
reflect, and to drink coffee. There are
so many moments to be thankful for, and it is quite easy to get caught up in
the busyness. It is so easy to find
myself venting about the details that are not coming together, or the students
who are not taking responsibility for themselves. It is easy to miss God amid the every day,
and I want to take the time to reflect on what He has done.
Just within this short time, I’ve completed countless tasks in
preparing four major events—new student orientation, a summer community picnic,
the student council retreat, and the high school girls’ all-day fall fun day. The variety of thoughts surround things like
budgets, transportation needs, activities, set-up, tear-down, plane tickets,
food, permission slips, waiting for the internet to work, finding myself
cursing at the printer… Details dance around in my head, and I have to work at
turning it off after 5:00. What I have
noticed is that God is pursuing peace in my heart, although the day is a race
to the finish and there are not often moments of quiet. Peace does not originate from meditation or
isolation, but rather is found in clothing myself with Christ.
I have also already met with 15 students within these two
weeks—academic accountability, starting the year correctly, working through relational
issues, saying goodbye, helping to fill out forms, laying down the laws of school
clubs, venting frustrations regarding parents and boys. This is where my heart is, where my passion
lies, and what I love most about what I do.
God is allowing me a window into their world, and an opportunity to be a
part of their story to reveal himself.
There is no greater joy and honor than this.
Student Council is up and running—excited for the new year
and full of fantastic ideas. What a
serving and leading group this is, and I am so looking forward to supporting
them in their decisions (for better or worse!).
I have also been helping with middle school softball after school, which is a
sweaty mess, but oh so fun! I haven’t
pitched in about 15 years… and it shows.
The kids were leaning into the ones that came a bit too close so they
could take a base. A few of the students
are really into the game, and others have no idea what’s going on. On Thursday, we practiced what to do if you
are caught in pickle, and I was having flashbacks all afternoon from my
childhood.
With my boss being promoted, there are a few extra things
for which I am responsible. High School
assemblies are one of them. Two
assemblies have come and gone relatively successfully, and the two students in
charge of creating ideas and themes are doing a phenomenal job. The theme for the year will be “Is God Real?”
and will deal with staff and student testimonies of how God has proven real and
faithful and in their lives. I hope to
up-the-ante on the organization of assemblies, so that the message can come
through clearly without distraction.
Throughout the summer, I prayed about possibly getting involved
in the high school youth group with our fellowship. Most of the students in the youth group
attend our school, so it would be another way to reach out to them. In the student-leadership meeting last night,
I was able to see Christ’s character revealed in the vulnerability and humility
of the students. I was touched by the
eagerness to start the year well as leaders, and to focus the time on growing
in Christ.
Beyond the time and work put in to my job and the teenagers,
I’ve celebrated a friend’s birthday, had coffee with five amazing women while
talking about the gospel, and went on a short-notice double-date at a delicious
new Thai place. Ben and I have had
Saturday mornings to rest and listen to sermons. We’ve reconnected with people who were gone
over the summer, and met new faces, usually over some good food. We’ve helped people move, driven people
around (Ben’s got his license now, and we are borrowing a car from friends who
are out of town!). Although it’s been a
busy time, we have seen God’s mercies in supplying community, fellowship, laughter,
and accountability. As August soon rolls
out and September tumbles in, my prayer is that God will keep revealing the
needs of others, and with the energy he provides, we can serve and grow
together. He surely supplies the peace
that passes all understanding, that guards our hearts in Christ Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment