Below is a personal response and reflection
after reading the book How People Change by Paul Tripp and
Tim Lane.
How People Change seemed to tell the story of the last
three years of my life. When my husband
and I first arrived in China, we had a difficult time on a number of
levels. For me, I had great difficulty
in my job as a counselor and slowly began to admit feeling incompetent and incredibly
insecure. I fought this notion for the
entire first year in China, as I pushed through loving, godly advice and criticism
with defensiveness and a personal expectation of perfection (106). This made my work more difficult and made
ministry impossible as I put others’ opinions of me on a high pedestal. It wasn’t until God humbled me enough to see
that the evil inside of me was greater and more dangerous than the evil outside
of me (44). This began a year-long process
and painful discovery of my idols and pride.
During this time, God also revealed his holiness, sovereignty, gentleness,
and forgiveness.
During our
second year in China, God spoke to me in various ways regarding my good deeds
that were as filthy rags and my insecurities that were deep-rooted in sin. One of those ways was through the community
of believers around me. I couldn’t agree
more that “living in community pushes us to die to ourselves” (183), since this
is exactly what happened as people pursued me with greater love and pushed me
closer to the gospel with greater force than any other time in my life. At the end of this year of growth, our closest
friends left the country, and there was some major changes coming for the next
year. In the expatriate community,
change is one of the few consistent happenings, and at the end of that year, change
proved to be “something God intend[ed] his people to experience together”
(170). We were in this together, for
better or worse. There was no hiding from our sin in relationships,
incompetency at work, or even our sadness in losing friends. We grew in Christ as a community, although
our community was spreading across the globe.
There are few things that are as equally beautiful and painful as
growing in the gospel through community.
In trials,
difficulties, and uncomfortable circumstances, God continues to shape me and
mold me into what he wants longs for me to be.
Looking back on the difficulty of moving overseas, owning my sin, and
placing myself vulnerably into community, I see now that God was “willing to
compromise [my] temporal happiness in order to increase [my] Christlikeness”
(30). During this past (third) year in
China, God has been continually rooting out my selfishness, specifically with
my time and space. My heart is “easily
enticed by comfort” and I sinfully feel that I deserve time to myself
(134). There needs to be room for grace,
rest, and Sabbath, but my heart should not consider these things above those
God places in front of me. My flesh
wages war on my soul as I make these daily, difficult decisions to follow
Christ instead of my desires. To serve
as an example, I am currently praying about getting involved in the local youth
group, which would be a great sacrifice to my time, and challenging to do
through the little energy I have left at the end of the week. However, the need is there, and I can think
of no better way to starve my flesh and allow Christ to work in my
weakness.
Looking upon
the next season of my life, I see that God is shaping me again. This seems to be a time of preparation for
the unknown, for the emotionally draining—a time of war of some sort. Admittedly, I do not know exactly what this
means, although I don’t believe I am looking for a demon behind every bush, so
to speak. Whatever circumstances or
trials come over the next year, I want to hold on to the truth that was so
beautifully expressed towards the end of How
People Change: “Each morning that greets me is full of hope, not because I
am successful at what I am doing, or because the people near me appreciate me,
or because circumstances are easy, but because God is, and he is my Father. To
look at the morning any other way is to believe a lie. To live in hope is to
live in truth; To live in truth is to bring him glory; To bring God glory in my
daily living is the highest form of worship” (456).
No comments:
Post a Comment