Thursday, January 2, 2014

Embracing the Necessary

“Cease from what is necessary; embrace that which gives life.”

As I mediate on the first verses of the beatitudes, I come to an internal cycle:  I am not hungering and thirsting for righteousness, because I don’t think that I’m empty.  I’m not completely mourning my sin because I’m blind to much of it.  I’m not poor in spirit because I don’t feel spiritually bankrupt.  I do not have a constant correct picture of God’s holiness, in order to see how sinful I truly am.  I don’t have God’s greatness in mind because I am too focused on myself.  …And then we come to the New Year Resolution time…when it's all about "me."  

For a Type-A like me, the New Year often brings new goals & checklists.  As I’m reading these Scriptures now, I begin to wonder:
  • How does someone start to not focus on themselves?
  • How do I obtain what I truly need without focusing on myself?
  • How do I rejuvenate, if I don't pursing the things I need for me?
  • Should I pursue or cease from the necessary things?
  • How should I embrace the things that give life?
I’m finding, it’s not about lists or goals.  It’s not about what I can do better.  It’s not about desiring to do greater things.  It’s not even about what Christ can do through me.  It’s about making Christ glorious—in the necessary things and the things that tend to “give life.”

So, I think the quote above needs to be adjusted… Because if I can do the dishes and make God look great, then I need to do the dishes.  Life will happen regardless of my internal attitude, but then it only becomes something necessary, not something that gives life.  Therefore, I’ll begin the New Year sans lists and resolutions, but instead hungry and thirsty for righteousness, in the necessary and in the rest. I can't often cease from what is necessary, but instead, I will “Embrace the necessary, since Christ gives life.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Amy...this is an amazing post. Short, sweet, to the point, and Gospel-centered!

    ReplyDelete